What would your life look like if you were plastic free? It is hard to imagine with all the plastic packaging and consumer goods that are in our daily lives.
Plastics are not good for us. They have filled up our landfills. The EPA estimates that over 12% of our current waste stream is made up of plastics and of that the largest category of materials is food containers and packaging. Plastics are now in our ocean and have created their own island called the Great Pacific Garbage Patch. And the health studies coming out about plastics, especially those that come into contact with food or beverage, have indicated initially they might be cancer-causing according to a Scientific America article.
A new trend is emerging to go plastic free. Essentially that means no product or good purchases that are made from or come in plastic packaging. If it sounds like this might be difficult, it is!
Here are a few resources that provide some tips and tricks on kicking the plastic habit!
- My Plastic Free: A blogger who is blogging about how she is going plastic free. She is in the process of publishing a book called ‘Plastic Free’.
- 11 Ways to Kick the Plastic Habit: An article by Green America on how to reduce your use of plastic.
- Plastic-free Living Guide: Another blogger, Beth Terry, who also writes about her plastic free life.
- Life Without Plastic: A site that provides products that are all plastic free to help those who want to rid plastic from their lives.
- Life Less Plastic: A blogger, Jeanne Haegele who has been plastic free since 2007 and has her own journey described in her blog.